Monday, August 16, 2004

Happy Place


(Carl Weathers as Chubbs Peterson who was a part of Happy Gilmore's "happy place")

Jamie and I went to the child birthing class this weekend. There were only a few things that there were not "R-Rated" that I can tell you about. One of those "G-rated" moments came at the end of Friday night's class. Jamie was told to lay down on a blanket and she was given three pillows to lay on (I used the carpet as my blanket and pillow). Music began to play in the background. Jamie was told to close her eyes and to think about a beautiful field ("her beautiful field"). She was then "taken" on a magical journey through her field, over a wall and into her garden. On the way, she even had time to stop to take a drink from the brook running through her garden.

Unfortunately, I was unable to partake of the journey for a couple of reasons. First of all, I was not willing to leave my field, because I was in the middle of an Ulimate game. Secondly, when I was thinking about what Jamie and I were being asked to do, it reminded me of Happy Gilmore and how Adam Sandler's character was asked to find his "happy place." When I awoke from my thoughts of Happy Gilmore, the journey was over.

Hopefully, Jamie found her "happy place" and in amidst of having a baby, she may return there and everything will be alright.

A little more information of why she was told her "happy place." The closest thing I can relate it to is Lamaze. Lamaze was pioneered by Dr. Ferdinand Lamaze. This technique for preparing for childbirth (also called the psychoprophylactic method) is based on the idea that the best way to control pain is through knowledge and relaxation. The method emphasizes breathing techniques.

No comments:

Contributors